Английский язык. Контрольная работа. Государственный Университет Управления.
Английский язык контрольная.
Read the following words and expressions and pay attention to the
to be situated
The castle was situated on the borders of an
to be founded
Saint Petersburg was founded in 1703.
We received an order to attack.
at the beginning of
She moved here at the beginning of the term.
The main store of the town supplies the elder
people with different goods according to their
несмотря на, вопреки
Notwithstanding their lack of experience,
they were an immediate success.
due to smth.
Our flight was delayed due to a strike of the
студент университета или
The department of physics enrolls about one
в течение, во время
They saw off three enemy attacks within
All the children of London were evacuated to
the country, where they would be safe from
Students from different parts of Russia study
to hold the lead
Novosibirsk holds the lead in Siberia among
the number of scientific institutions.
to be engaged
She was engaged to work in Public
Match the following words and expressions with their equivalents.
1. а home town a) окрестности
2. а bank b) житель
3. а fortress с) набег
4. а raid d) приезжий
5. а nomad e) акционерное общество
6. аn exile f) залежь, месторождение
7. a resident g) выдающийся ученый
8. an outstanding personality h) крепость
9. a freelance student i) незаурядная личность
10. a deposit j) ссыльный
11. a joint-stock company k) кочевник
12. suburbs l) родной город
13. a distinguished scholar m) студент-вольнослушатель
14. a newcomer n) берег
5.4. Read the text again and answer the following questions.
1. Where is Tomsk situated?
2. What year was it founded?
3. When did Tomsk become a commercial centre of Siberia?
4. Who was the most outstanding personality among the Tomsk political
5. What year did Emperor Alexander III "by his sovereign will” open the
6. When did Tomsk and its nearby neighbors become the part of the
7. How many enterprises were evacuated to Tomsk within the first year
of the Great Patriotic War?
8. What is the post-war development of the Tomsk Oblast connected
9. How many higher educational establishments are there in Tomsk now?
10. Does Tomsk really hold the lead in Russia among the number of
11. How many research institutes does the Tomsk Scientific Center of the
Russian Academy of Medical Sciences comprise?
12. What kinds of theatres are there in Tomsk?
13. Who is the memorial of Glory devoted to?
14. Where is it situated?
15. What are the authorities of the town trying to do?
5.5. Read the following international words and notice their
medicine student territory college gas doctor
architecture company academy problem monument
institute progress industry physiotherapy
Present Progressive Tense with the Future Meaning
(right / just) now at the moment at present currently
I am working now. I am working this Saturday.
5.6. Read the following sentences and decide if the verb refers to the
present or future.
1. I am leaving tomorrow to spend Christmas with Mary’s family.
2. The doctor is feeling her pulse.
3. We are having a party next Saturday. Would you like to come?
4. Listen! Ann is singing in the next room.
5. Kate, we are going to the town center. Are you coming with us?
6. I’m not going away for my holidays next month because I haven’t got
7. ‘What are you doing?’ ‘I am writing a letter to my sister.’
8. Look! The bus is coming.
Be going to
be going to
Nick is going to see Maria. It’s going to rain soon.
I am going to call home.
5.7. Change the following sentences in the control work, as in the model.
Model: – Mary says she … me a book for Christmas. (give)
– Mary says she is going to give me a book for Christmas.
1. Dick’s sister … her exam this year. (not take)
2. Miss Brown … after dinner. (sing)
3. The government … a new hotel near here. (build)
4. The Greens … their house at the end of the year. (sell)
5. She’s twenty minutes late! I … her here. (not wait)
6. Bob and Lucy … next spring. (get married)
7. … you … all night? Put the light out and go to bed! (talk)
8. I am in trouble. I … him for help. (ask)
9. The teacher … the next lesson to us. (explain)
10. Susan is not very good at Physics. She is … some extra lessons.
5.8. Complete the following sentences with be going to + one of the
verbs below, as in the model.
eat do give lie down stay walk wash watch wear
Model: – My hands are dirty. I’m going to wash them.
1. I don’t want to go home by bus. I … .
2. Nick is going to New York. He … at his friends’ house.
3. I’m hungry. I … a sandwich.
4. It’s my mother’s birthday next week. We… her a present.
5. There’s a good film on TV this evening. … you … it?
6. ‘What … Jane …?’ ‘She is going to prepare for the test.’
7. I feel tired. … for an hour.
8. What … you … to the party?
5.9. Complete the following sentences using be going to.
1. There are a lot of black clouds in the sky. It … (rain).
2. It’s 8.00. Donald is leaving his house. He has to be at work at 8.15 but
the journey takes 30 minutes. He … (be late).
3. There are holes in the bottom of the boat. A lot of water is coming
through holes. The boat … (sink).
4. Virginia is driving. There is very little petrol in the tank. . She …
Present Simple Tense with the Future Meaning
come, arrive – go, leave, depart
start, begin – end
The show begins at 8 and it ends at midnight.
When does our plane leave?
This train doesn’t arrive early.
5.10. Choose the correct variant.
1. Madonna (arrives / is arriving / arrive) on Monday according to plan.
2. The examinations (are taking place / take place / takes place / is taking
place) next month as announced.
3. The office always closes at 6 o’clock in the evening but today it
(closes / is closing / close) an hour later.
4. We (have / are having / has) breakfast very early tomorrow so that we
could leave home before 8.
5. He usually works at the station but next month he (is working / work /
works) at the dock for a few days.
6. I’m sorry I can’t accept your invitation. I (have / am having / has)
lunch with some business people next Thursday.
7. We always go to Paris on holiday. Next year I (am going / go / goes) to
Spain for a change.
8. Saturday is his day off. However, he (plays / play / is playing) in the
finals of the tennis tournament next Saturday.
9. My uncle John from London (are visiting / visits / is visiting) us soon.