50 years ago people didn't even heard of computers, and today we cannot imagine life without them.
Computer technology is the fastest-growing industry in the world. The first computer was the size of a minibus and weighed a ton. Today, its job can be done by a chip the size of a pin head. And the revolution is still going on.
Very soon we'll have computers that we wear on our wrists or even in our glasses and earrings.
The next generation of computers will be able to talk and even think for themselves. They will contain electronic "neural networks". Of course, they'll be still a lot simpler than human brains, but it will be a great step forward. Such computers will help to diagnose illnesses, find minerals, identify criminals and control space travel.
Some people say that computers are dangerous, but I don't agree with them. They save a lot of time. They seldom make mistakes. It's much faster and easier to surf the Internet than to go to the library.
On-line shopping makes it possible to find exactly what you want at the best price, saying both time and money.
E-mail is a great invention, too. It's faster than sending a letter and cheaper than sending a telegram.
All in all, I strongly believe that computers are a useful tool. They have changed our life for the better. So why shouldn't we make them work to our advantage?
Ответить на вопросы контрольной по тексту.
1. Have you got a computer?
2. Do you think it's a useful tool?
3. Will computers become smaller in the future?
4. Can the Internet help you to do your homework?
5. Can computers help us to learn foreign languages?
6. Do you play computer games?
7. What are the advantages of on-line shopping?
8. What are the advantages of e-mail?
9. Do you think that computers are bad for health?
10. Some people have made friends through the Internet. What about you?
11. Some people say that computers make us less sociable. Do you agree?
12. What will the next generation of computers be able to do?
2. Поставьте глаголы в правильную форму.
1. While Alan. . . (to drive) home last night he ... (to run out) of petrol.
2. They ... (to stay) at Rome all day long tomorrow.
3. Picasso's masterpiece . . . (to sell) to a private art collection.
4. By 2020,people . . . (to learn) to grow food on the seabed.
5. The survivors . . . (to pick out) of the water by a cruise liner which had heard their distress call.
6. After the plane . . . ( to land ) and he … ( to pass) the customs and the luggage control, Mr. Jenkins ... ( to take ) a taxi and … ( to go) to the hotel.
3. Выберите правильный вариант ответа контрольной.
1. I can never see the blackboard because the tall boy always sits … me.
a. behind b. in front of c. near d. next to
2. I've got no idea where ....
a. it is b. is it c. has it d. does it
3. What'll happen when the train ...?
a. stop b. will stop c. stops d. stopped
4. The painting is ... a million pounds.
a. cost b. worth c. costs d. paid
5. I spend all my money ... my children's education.
a. to b. at c. on d. by
6. She has saved money and she wants to put... in the bank.
a. them b. their c. them d. it
4. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
1. Father (to watch) TV at ten o'clock yesterday.
2. I (to go) to bed at nine o'clock yesterday.
3. When the thieves (to take) his money, he (to leave) the bank.
4. What do you (to do) when the the accident (to happen)? -I (to walk) out of the hospital.
5. He (to put) on his coat and cap, (to open) the door and (to go) out.
6. When the teacher (to walk) into the classroom, the boys (to listen) to pop music and the girls (to eat chips and (to drink ) lemonade.
5. Раскройте скобки контрольной , употребляя глаголы в Future Simple или Present Continuous.
1. Where you (to go) for your next holiday?
2. I (to give) you a lift to work tomorrow if you like.
3. Do you know that Ann (to come) at the of the week?
4. I'm afraid I'm not quite ready.- Never mind. I (to wait).
5. We (to have) a party next Saturday night. You come?
6. Why you (to take) the carpets down? You (to paint) the walls? - No, I (to take) the carpets to the cleaner's.
Раскройте скобки, употребляя Past Simple или Present Perfect.
1. He (to forget) his French since he (to leave) Paris.
2. Years ago he (to be) very poor, and (not to know) how to live. He (to become) very rich now.
3. I can reach my work easily now, as I (to buy) a new car.
4. The man you see there is the man to whom I (to lend) the money. - When you (to lend) it to him?-I (to do) it yesterday.
5. I (to lose) my keys and cannot remember where I (to see) them last.
6. He cannot see well as he (to become) short-sighted.
7. He is a man who (to live) a remarkable life.