Контрольная работа английский язык
Контрольная работа английский язык
1. Прочитайте текст Mayor-Council и заполните пропуски текста английскими словами выражениями:
city departments; mayor; the power of veto; government; council; state; executive branch; legislative branch; represents; council seats
This is the oldest form of city ___1___ in the United States and, until the beginning of the 20th century, was used by nearly all American cities. Its structure is similar to that of the ___2___ and national governments, with an elected mayor as chief of the ___3___ and an elected council that ___4___ the various neighborhoods forming the ___5___ . The ___6___ appoints heads of city departments and other officials, sometimes with the approval of the___7___. He or she has ___8___ over ordinances — the laws of the city — and frequently is responsible for preparing the city's budget. The council passes city ordinances, sets the tax rate on property, and apportions money among the various___9___. As cities have grown, ____10___ have usually come to represent more than a single neighborhood.
2.Выполните следующее задание: а) заполните пропуски подходящими по смыслу модальными глаголами. Используйте глаголы: can, may, must, have to, should, ought to, need
1) You ___ to respect his position and old age. 2) Senate approval, interpret laws and ___ overturn laws they deem unconstitutional. 3) Congress ___ override a veto, but to do so two-thirds of the Members of Congress ___ vote against the President. 4) In fact, one does not ___ to be a member of a political party to run in any election at any level of government. 5) The President's policies ___ be approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate. 6) The President ___ do his job accordingto the Constitution or he ___ be impeached. 7) The Senate committee has a special role to play because the Senate ___ approve all treaties and all nominations to key foreign policy postings. 8) The problem ___ be discussed again.
3. Переделайте предложения из контрольной по английскому:
1) The Constitution limits the federal government to specific powers. 2) The executive branch of the government will put this country's law into effect. 3) The President appointed the justices but the Senate didn't approve them. 4) In addition to the Supreme Court, Congress has established 11 federal courts of appeal and, below them, 91 federal district courts. 5) By the middle of the century the USA had achieved universal white adult male suffrage.
b) в активный
1) Americans are seldom impressed my government officials. 2) The America First Party was founded in 2002 by a large group of archconservative "Buchanan Brigade" defectors. 3) I hope these bills will be approved by both houses of Congress. 4) Before the American revolution many restrictions upon the right to vote were placed by colonies. 5) This work has been carried out by the representatives in the committee recently.
4. Прочитайте предложения на английском и вставьте частицу to где это необходимо
1) You needn't ___ ask for permission. 2) The President ought not ___ show his feelings. 3) You had better ___ make a note of it. 4) I heard the authorities of the constituent entitles of Russia ___ have the right to pass laws independently from the federal government. 5) I let ___ appoint him the ambassador in this country.
5. Постройте предложения с конструкцией Сложное дополнение используя слова в скобках
1) The Constitution is the "supreme law of the land". (they, to know) 2) The Constitution drafted in Philadelphia in 1787 did not include the Bill of Rights. (I, to hear) 3) The Bill of Rights offers individual protection from congressional actions, acts by state and local governments. (we, to think) 4) Many nations with multiparty systems are politically unstable. (Politicians, to consider) 5) In many ways United States citizens remain the keepers of their own rights. (People, to notice)
6. Постройте предложения с конструкцией Сложное подлежащее, используя слова в скобках:
1) Americans (to seem) almost instinctively to dislike government and politicians. 2) The federal judiciary (to consider) to be the third branch of the Government. 3) The American system of "checks and balances" (to know) to work in many ways to keep serious mistakes from being done by one branch or another. 4) Modern Presidents (to expect) to develop a legislative program and secure its adoption by Congress. 5) The judicial branch of the government (to know) to be the system of courts in the United States.