Контрольные по английскому Томского университета.Контрольные по английскому языку Томского университета.
1.1. Translate the text.
THE EMBLEM OF TOMSK
The well-known emblem of Tomsk is a silver horse on the green background with a golden crown above it. It was made in 1804. The history of the emblem is connected with the history of this country and the town. In the period from 1645 till 1676 many towns of Russia were making their own emblems. The symbol of Siberia was a sable. Tomsk had it in its emblem too.
In 1708, the great Russian tsar Peter I divided Russia into eight governmental regions. In Siberia its own government with the center in Tobolsk was formed. That's why it was necessary to have new emblems of the towns. The Italian painter Santi and the Russian painter Baranov made the second emblem of Tomsk. It represented a miner with his tools.
Time passed. In 1804, the Tomsk Province was formed. It united the present territories of the Tomsk, Novosibirsk, Kemerovo, Semipalatinsk, Krasnoyarsk regions and East Kazakhstan. The life at that time was very difficult in Siberia, the roads were awful and very long. There were no cars and buses there. Only horses, the great helpers of people. Life without them was impossible. And the horse became the symbol of our town.
Выполните контрольную работу Томского университета.
1. What is the well-known emblem of Tomsk?
2. When was it made?
3. What was the symbol of Siberia in the 17th century?
4. What town was the first governmental center of Siberia?
5. Who made the second emblem of Tomsk and whom did it represent?
6. What year was the Tomsk Province formed?
7. Why did the horse become the symbol of our town?
1.3. Choose the correct answer.
1. Ben is ... all of his brothers.
a) younger than b) the youngest c) as young as
2. Roberta is ... person in her family.
a) fatter b) as fat as c) the fattest
3. I'm 15. Jane is 17. I'm ... Jane.
a) older than b) as old as c) not as old as
4. Ice hockey is . sport than basketball or tennis.
a) more dangerous b) the most dangerous c) as dangerous as
5. I'm nearly . my mother.
a) as tall as b) taller c) the tallest
1.4. Put the verbs in the present progressive or present simple.
1. A: My parents ... on holiday next week. (to go) B: Oh, that's nice. Where ...? (they / to go)
2. A: ... to a concert this evening. (we / to go) at 7.30. B: ... (it / to start)
3. A: Do you want to go to the cinema tonight? B: Yes, what time ...? (the film / to begin)
4. A: What ... on Monday afternoon? (you / to do) B: ... . (/ /to work)
1.5. Put in I'll or I'm going to.
1. 'I don't want to go cook tonight.' 'All right, then. ... cook.'
2. 'Why is Mary excited?' '... to spend the day at the sea.'
3. 'I haven't got any money.' 'No? OK. ... pay.'
4. 'Do you want to go out tonight?' 'No, ... wash my hair.'
5. 'Those jeans are dirty.' 'Really? Yes, they are. ... wash them.'
1.6. Choose the correct variant.
1. If I . any news, I . you.
a) will hear, will tell b) will hear tell c) hear, will tell
2. If the weather . fine tomorrow, we . to the river.
a) is, will go b) will be, will go c) will be, go
3. When I . in Manchester next week, I . you.
a) will arrive, will phone b) will arrive, phone c) arrive, will phone
4. If Dad ... a new car, we ... to the sea-side by car next summer.
a) buy, will go b) buys, will go c) will buy, go
5. If you ... less bread, you ... slim.
a) will eat, will be b) eat, will be c) eats, will be
1.7. Change the following sentences into passive or active.
1. A programmer gives instructions and data to the computer.
2. We use microcomputers in everyday life.
3. A computer . this information very rapidly.
4. The scientists developed new
5. Computers ... calculations.
6. File folders contain business letters.
7. We connected the printer to our computer.
8. The monitor ... text characters and graphic.
9. Experts know much about how to prepare programs.
10. Computers . the work of
Instructions and data . . to the computer by a programmer.
Microcomputers . . in everyday
This information is processed by
a computer very rapidly.
New computer technology by the scientists.
Calculations are done by computers.
Business letters contained in
The printer . . to our computer.
Text characters and graphics are displayed by the monitor.
It . . much about how to prepare programs.
The work of power stations is controlled by computers.
1.8. Write down from the text "The Emblem of Tomsk" the past simple active ang passive forms.
1.9. Write down your own examples in passive. Use the following expressions: to be made, to be connected, to be formed.
1.10. Translate into English (use the words from exercise 1.7)
1. Эта работа делается каждый день.
2. Учеными был разработан новый прибор (device).
3. Информация была обработана компьютером.
4. Файлы содержатся в папках.
5. Компьютеры широко используются.