Английский язык. Контрольные работы. Сибирский Университет.Английский язык в Сибири
1.1. Translate the text.
THE SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY
Tomsk Scientific library was founded in 1880. Many progressive people of Russia made a substantial contribution to its development. They showed deep interest in the Siberian library and presented their works and even their private libraries to it.
In 1878, the famous explorer and goldminer, Sibiryakov, donated 10.000 roubles to buy books for the library. He also gave a part of Zhukovsky's library to it. This charitable present included 4.674 volumes. The same year Count Stroganov donated his book collection to the University library. This collection was the richest and the most valuable in Europe. Its value was estimated at half a million roubles and most of its books had golden bindings (book-covers).
On the day of its foundation (1880) the library contained 96.000 volumes. (Compare: when the library of Petersburg University was opened, it contained 7.784 volumes.) In 1934, the University library was awarded the title of a Scientific library.
Today it contains 3.5 million books in 50 languages of the world. There one can find rare manuscripts and books of the 16th century, which are of great historical importance. There are books with Goncharov's, Chernyshevsky's autographs.
In 1978, a new building of the library covering the area of 11.000 square meters was erected.
At present the library has 18 reading rooms and more than 5.000 readers attend it every day.
Now the library is not only the University library, it is opened to public.
1.2. Give the Russian equivalents of the following words and expressions.
To donate, charitable present, golden bindings (book-covers), to be awarded the title of, rare manuscripts, open to public.
1.3. Write the comparatives and superlatives.
1. cheap; 2. easy; 3. boring; 4. good; 5. heavy; 6. hot; 7. late; 8. interesting; 9. bad; 10. young.
1.4. Choose the correct variant.
1. 'Has he decided how to spend the money?' 'Yes, he ... buy a car.'
a) is going to b) will c) going to
2. My elder sister ... finish school in June.
a) going to b) is going to c) will
3. My uncle has bought bricks. He ... build a house in the country.
a) going to b) is going to c) will
4. 'Jack didn't pass his exam yesterday.' 'Oh, what ... do?' a) he going to b) is he going to c) will he
5. 'There is somebody at the door.' 'I ... open.'
a) will b) going to c) am going to
6. I think I ... do it.
a) going to b) am going to c) will
1.5. Write a second sentence which has a similar meaning to the first.
Use the words in brackets.
1. You can get off this train in Glasgow, (to stop) It ... in Glasgow.
2. First I'll come to the office, then I'll send a letter. (after) . a letter after . to the office.
3. The sky is full of dark clouds. (to rain)
It . .
4. In my opinion there will be a good weather tomorrow. (sunny)
It . .
5. My boyfriend wants to meet me. (to be going to) He . meet me.
1.6. Choose the correct form.
1. A: I know the rent on your flat is very expensive. B: ... , I've decided.
a) I'll move b) I'm going to move c) I move
2. A: Look - what's the man doing? B: Oh no! ...
a) He'll jump! b) He jumps! c) He's going to jump!
I'd like a photo of Mark and me.
OK, ... a photo with your camera.
a) I'll take b) I'm going to take c) I take
Can I borrow your dictionary on Tuesday? I'm sorry, but . it.
a) I use b) I'll use c) I'm using
What about the train from Paris? ... at 8.15 p.m.
a) It arrives b) It'll arrive c) It's arriving
What about your plans for tomorrow evening? . to the disco.
a) I go b) I'm going c) I will go
1.7. Put the following statements into the passive voice.
1. He formulated this law in 1980.
2. He introduced this concept in 2005.
3. He discovered the effect in the late 1990s.
4. They developed this theory in the early 1980s.
5. They completed the research two years ago.
6. They worked out a new method some time ago.
7. They presented fifty papers at that symposium.
8. They outlined this problem in one of the papers.
9. He summarized this information in a monograph.
10. We discussed many problems at the seminar.
1.8. Find in the text "The Scientific Library" the sentences with present and past simple passive forms and write down them.
1.9. Write down your own examples in passive with the words from exercise 1.8.
1.10. Translate into English. Use the verbs from the text "The Scientific
1. Томск был основан в 1604 году.
2. Томский государственный университет был открыт в 1888 году.
3. Каждый год в нашем городе строятся новые дома.
4. Научная библиотека открыта для общественного (общего) доступа.
5. Картина была передана в дар музею.
6. Обе награды были присуждены британским ученым.