Вариант контрольной работы по английскому языку
Вариант контрольной работы по английскому языку
Перепишите и переведите предложения, определите видовременные формы глаголов, укажите их инфинитив.
1. Robert Gibbs, the great plane robber, has been caught in Montina.
He was arrested in a Vanadelo nightclub.
He is being questioned at police headquarters, and he will probably be sent back to Britain.
Two British detectives left Heathrow earlier this evening, and they will help the police in Vanadelo with their enquiries.
In 1978 Gibbs was sentenced to forty years in prison for his part in the Great Plane Robbery.
2. The convicts are transported to prison.
Many reports are made. Light is shed on many facts.
Different measures are taken to prevent and solve crimes.
The happening is reconstructed.
Latent fingerprints are developed and taken.
Выберите правильный вариант модального глагола и подставьте в предложение. Предложения переведите.
1. If I don’t study for the next test, I ____ fail it.
a) ought to; b) should; c) might; d) will have to.
2. It ____ be Jack. He drives a Fiat and this guy is driving a Jaguar.
a) can’t; b) should; c) ought to; d) might.
3. He ___ to go to the dentist because he has toothache.
a) ought; b) must; c) should; d) have.
4. It was a very difficult text. I ____ look up a lot of words in the dictionary.
a) must; b) have to; c) had to; d) must to.
5. If we ___ study, we could go out.
a) didn’t have to; b) had to study; c) could; d) didn’t have.
Перепишите и переведите предложения с английского языка обращая внимание на значения выделенных слов.
We never have practice on Sunday.
No transport stops here.
We see nothing interesting in this question.
The police have no evidence against this suspect.
None of the group want to do that.
He could find neither him nor his relatives.
Перепишите и переведите текст на русский язык.
History of law
One of the earliest systems of law of which we have knowledge is the collection of laws, known as the Code of Hammurabi, the Babylonian king, which was carved in stone about 1900 B.C., and which can be seen in the British Museum in London. Another early code of Hebrew Law, contained in the Book of Exodus on the Bible.
In Greece each city-state had its law. Some laws were common to many states, such as laws relating to family life. In the 17th century B.C. the Greeks began to put their laws into writing. About 594 B.C. Solon, the famous Athenian lawgiver, provided new code of law. The Athenians didn’t consider it necessary to have legal experts for non-criminal cases. In a civil case the verdict was given by a jury, which might number anything from 201 to 2500.
The number of the jury listened to speeches made by the prison who had brought the case before them, and by their friends. Barristers were not allowed, but speeches were sometimes prepared by professional speechwriters.
Roman law is one of the greatest systems that have ever existed. It was based upon custom, and by A.D. 528 quantity of Roman Law had become so immense that the Emperor Justinian in Constantinople ordered a clear, systematic code of all the laws to be made.
Roman law has had a deep influence upon the law of the world. The law of most European countries is based upon it, and it has ha some influence on Anglo-Saxon law, which is the other great law system of the world. For many years Roman law seemed to be lost or forgotten, but it reappeared in the 11th century, when there was a great revival of learning. Many European countries began to use Roman law in their courts. In France, however, until Napoleon codified the law in 1804 each province had its own laws. The Napoleonic Code was a splendid achievement, and has been copied in many countries in Europe and South America.
Составить диалог на тему «Обсуждение правовой системы Великобритании адвокатами».
Переведите комбинации слов, обращая внимание на употребление герундия.
1. Reducing the cost of the procedure will be …
2. Gaining good results was …
3. Making laws is …
4. Passing sentence must be …
5. Functioning as clerk became …
Переведите, обращая внимание на герундий.
1. The way of breaking the law …
2. The possibility of using the case …
3. The role of inquiring (into) the matter …
4. The right of pleading in the courts …
5. The function of giving legal opinions …
Переведите комбинации с герундием, обращая внимание на значения предлогов by, without, besides, before, after, in.
1) By using the witnesses’ evidence the policeman detained …
2) By fining driver the policeman prevents …
3) By participating in a trial a witness performs …
4) By cooperating with the police the authorities of the city managed …
1) Without training one cannot pass an exam on …
2) Without reforming criminal law jurisprudence can’t develop …
3) Without considering the evidence of the accused the jury can’t …
4) Without following his advice it was impossible …
1) Besides having been questioned before the trial he was detained …
2) Besides making arrangements about inviting an expert journalists were also supposed to arrive …
3) Besides admitting his fault an accused brought his apologies to …
1) Before obtaining photo documents the judge thoroughly studied …
2) Before becoming judge one must …
3) Before registering their divorce a married couple consulted …
1) After adopting an act the house owner h to fulfill …
2) After applying technical methods of research it was established …
3) After having explained the rules to the accused he began …
1) In instituting proceedings against Mr A. and Mr B. it was decided …
2) In solving immigration problems much time is devoted to …
3) In inflicting heavy bodily injuries the victim was given first aid …
Раскройте скобки и поставьте глагол в Passive Voice, используя нужное время.
1. No objections to the plan (to offer) so far, but it (not to introduce) until it (to put) to vote.
2. The Queen, the House of Lords and the House of Commons meet only on occasions of symbolic significance such as the State opening of Parliament when the Commons (to summon) by the Queen to the house of Lords.
3. The indictment (to amend).
4. The offenders who committed crimes (to punish).
5. New witnesses (to cross-examine) by the prosecuting counsel.
6. You (not to allow) to build without permission from the Planning Authority. And Sometimes the Authority decides that a house must (to build) of stone, and not brick, so that it doesn’t spoil the surrounding village.
7. For hundreds of years the Tower (to use) as a prison, and visitors today my see the exact spot where many great nobles (to execute).
8. The document has been signed by the president of the board.
Заполните пропуски глаголами (в нужной форме Passive Voice): establish, proclaim, concern, achieve, serve, conduct, abolish, announce.
1. All the felonies were punishable with death, but the capital punishment … … in 1965.
2. The Assizes and the jury system in England … … in the 12th century.
3. The fusion of courts … … by the Judicature Acts of 1873 and 1875.
4. The resolution … … by the jury.
5. Whom … the Crown Court … by?
6. Whom … the criminal proceeding … by?
7. Whilst the first of jurisprudence – legal theory deals with the definition and the nature of law, its second part – source of law … … with the creating of law, whereas the third division of jurisprudence – analytical – has a lot to do with ordinary statements.
8. Some statements of a judge become effective after they … ….
The Illustrated History of the Supreme Court
of the United States
Established by the Constitution, the Supreme Court is the highest court in the United States. Members of the Court re appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Supreme Court has a dual function: on the one hand it must interpret and expound all congressional enactments brought before it in proper cases; on the other hand it has the power (superseding that of all other courts) to examine federal and state statutes an executive actions to determine whether they conform to the Constitution. The Court’s decisions have an impact beyond specific cases, for they are intended for guiding legislatures and the executive authority; thereby they mold the development of law. The Illustrated History of the Supreme Court shows how the court functions, by tracing the development of the judicial branch into a fully coequal partner with the executive, namely the President, and the legislative branch, or Congress, in the system of government of the United States.
Диалог «Обсуждение Высшего суда США».